Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Groundhog Day!

Punxsutawney Phil, the most famous of the groundhogs, has today 'declared' that there will be an early spring this year. I approve this message.
It has been a pretty bitter winter. We haven't (yet) had a ton of snow, but it has been very cold. We do try to keep the house fairly warm but we're aware that heat costs money and we're a pretty frugal couple. The other night/morning when I stayed up to watch the tennis it was very chilly downstairs, and I wrapped myself in a blanket. Our pet mouse on Saturday seemed to be having difficulty and her body temperature was very low, so Alise held her in her cleavage for a while to warm her bones.
There has, though, been a few signs that this winter may be breaking. It is now lighter in the evenings, it's not pitch black when I get off the train. There is little snow/ice left on the ground, and I came to work this morning without long-johns. Time continues to fly, seasons pass, baby will soon be coming.
For some reason though, I'm still obsessed with the temperature and I know that I will be year round when the baby arrives. When he gets here we won't just be able to sleep through the cold, we'll have to 'get up' to tend to him. The house will need to be warmer for longer. I want him to live in a world of comfort, warmth and love; not in a place of cold air, sharp corners, and winter illness. God, I'm nesting.
The bathroom is done and looks a million times better than it did. The nursery is basically finished, but needs to be cleaned and things need to be put up. Right now it looks good, but a little bare and sterile. I want it to be cozy, full of light, full of joy. I want things on the ceiling and things on the walls. I want rugs on the floor and toys in a yet-to-be-purchased chest. I want little books on the shelves and socks in little baskets. I want there to not be a modem in there. I want to windows that do not rattle when the wind blows. I want for him everything that I could never have. I want him to be happy, healthy, and be able to hear properly. I want to give him the sun and the moon and the stars. I want him to be safe, secure, and loved.

Sometimes I know want too much. Sometimes I know have to settle for less. This isn't one of those times.


EDIT: Wikipedia apparently gave me duff information this morning. The groundhog actually predicted 6 more weeks of winter. Stupid groundhog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment