Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's a small, small world

I think one of the strangest things for me about this day and age, is how small the world sometimes seems.

Today I read a story on the BBC website, so published in London, about a terror suspect that had been arrested in Massachusetts. And this was how I first found out about it.

Nevermind that I actually live in Massachusetts; I hear about where I live via the country that I left.

When I was growing up, America seemed like a lifetime away. I had always been very interested in the country, and it was always #1 on my personal 'I want to go there' list. Now I'm living here and I call it home; and understandably I guess the appeal has waned. Now I think that China or Japan are terribly interesting and deserving of my presence, and hopefully we'll be able to visit at some point.

Our child will think nothing of traveling long distances. As things stand, he's 3000 miles away from each of his grandmothers, one being to his east and one to his south-west. One of his uncles is currently about 3000 miles west, his closest grandparent a three hour car ride north.

A lot depends on whether we decide to stay where we are or to move closer to relatives, but it's likely that our boy will grow up with different ideas about family than we did. I truly hope that he will be as close to as many of them as possible, and hope that he won't miss out on anything just because his dad moved to America.

0 comments:

Post a Comment