Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Time Flies When You're Having Unplanned Pregnancies...

Sometimes I like to play a game.

Actually, I should rephrase that statement. At pretty much every stage of my existence I'm playing some kind of game. 'What stop will he get off the train', is one. 'How many people will call in sick today', another. You may think I'm childish, but it helps to pass the day and it's all good practice for when the child arrives. I've actually considered that I'll think of this thing as less a child than a really late little brother or sister; which I'm sure is going to put Alise into a great position.

Anyway. This game I'm talking about.

Starting from the front page of the BBC website, I allow myself 5 clicks and have to end up at the story that was published furthest back in time. Because the BBC website has only been around since 1998 or so, and because the links to stories are related to current affairs, ending up in the early 2000's is a great achievement. The other day I broke my all time record (securing the Gold medal in the process), when I landed, on click 5, at this gem published in 1999.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/432463.stm


I then sat, my jaw dropping evermore, and read the story.

Firstly, this is batshit insane. A grandmother at 26?? I'm 31 and consider myself pretty young and I'm worrying about my readiness for parenthood. If I were this lady I could be a grandparent of a 5 year old! Crazy.

I then, soon afterwards, got an email from an old friend, Catrin, who reminded me that 10 years ago I started work at the same company that she currently works at. This shook me. (I should point out that when I say 'Old Friend', I mean that I've known Catrin for 10 years. Not that she's old. Though in fairness, she is 10 years older now than when I first met her).

I guess time really does fly. A lot has happened since I first showed up for my first 'real job' in an ill fitting suit and with a leatherette briefcase, but it really doesn't seem like it was 10 years ago. In 10 years I'll be in my 40's. In another 10 my child will be either at college or... well who knows where s/he'll be. If their life is anything like the people in the article, I could be a grandfather in a little under 13 years. Now there's something to scare the bejesus out of me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment