Thursday, October 8, 2009

Water Water Everywhere...

This morning I woke up fairly late and scurried to get ready for work. My morning routine on days like these involves dressing largely in the dark so as not to wake Alise any more than I already have, throwing some food down Coco's throat, letting her outside so that she can water and fertilize the lawn, swishing some mouthwash, grabbing some lunch out of the fridge (if available) and scooting out of the door to walk the 15 minutes to the train station.

 

This morning, as I walked, I noticed that one of the temporary water pipes that's been set up in the neighborhood had sprung a leak, and was sending a torrent of water into the street. I avoided getting splashed by cars and got to my train.

 

When I checked emails on my phone, I saw a flood (pun intended) of emails from the neighbors, complaining of a loss of water pressure. I communicated to then (via the neighborhood email chain thingy) my findings, relaying that it was probably the cause of said loss of pressure.

 

Emails erupted. Everyone complaining, and reporting their loss of water. I remember thinking to myself 'jesus! Calm down people! It's only water!'

 

Of course, in a few months it'll be different. Alise and I can perfectly take care of ourselves whether we have no water, no electricity, or even (gasp) no internet. Soon though we'll depend on these things, we'll need all of the creature comforts of home to be uninterrupted. We'll rely on people and things. Whereas now we often say 'you and me against the world', we'll soon need the world more than ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment