Sunday, July 12, 2009

Still Week One...

I decided pretty early on in this venture that I'd like to create a video diary. Something to remember this time, something to show our child when he or she is old enough to appreciate it.

I then decided to post it on here too.

One thing that really worries me is that our child will face the same obstacles at birth as I did. Namely that it would be born with a 'clicky hip', and that it would be virtually deaf.

I had a hearing disability that affected me until I was well developed, and still now can hear little out of my left ear. This whole episode has left me with a speech impediment that's obvious to all. I realize that I am on the whole 'lucky', and that so many were dealt poorer hands than I was, but still... differences can be difficult to deal with and children can be very cruel.

It's an ironic twist that when I hear myself speaking 'live', I hear a wonderfully clear voice. Not the garbled mess that actually is expelled from my mouth. When I hear myself on tape or video I hear myself as you do, and it embarrasses me to no end.

Putting these videos up is therefore something that isn't easy for me.

You know what though? This first week of knowing about the baby has taught me one thing above all else. I am no longer the most important person in my life. My concerns mean less, I am living my life for others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment