Monday, July 13, 2009

To blog or not to blog...

Now then, that IS a good question.

There is so much advice out there on the interwebs and in bookstores and in the minds of everyone that you talk to when it comes to pregnancy and all things related, that sometimes it can get a little overwhelming. one of the first question that we faced, and doubtless others face, when we first saw that YES + sign on the pregnancy test was; when should we tell people?

Some people say that you should wait until the first trimester passes. That is to say, you should calmly see yourself through the first three months of panic and terror and then tell those closest to you; 'you know how I've been really cranky, how my breasts have suddenly grown, how I've been throwing up all over the place every morning, and I've been wanting to kill you? Well here's why, I'm going to be a baby daddy'. Alise will probably say something similar.

Others say that you should wait until later, in case something else terrible happens to the fetus. I'm pretty sure that if we researched enough there would be someone out there who would advise, in all seriousness, that we should wait until the child is eighteen and ready to go off to college before we tell our family and friends that we had them at all.

We calmly discussed our options as we drove to the 24 hour Walmart that Sunday evening to buy the most expensive (product + gas + really late so I needed coffee = lots of cash) socks in baby history. We then realized that we'd probably just tell pretty much everyone pretty much straight away, and be totally upfront and honest the whole way through. This has been one way of our 'making it real', and being able to ask advice that doesn't start with 'hypothetically speaking...', which when heard pretty much always means 'what I'm about to describe is happening fo'realz'.

The best advice that I've had so far though came from my big brother Richard, who commented on my first post. Cheers mate, and cheers to everyone else too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment