Wednesday, August 12, 2009

All were awake but me

There were some violent thunderstorms in Massachusetts last night.

We did have fair warning. It had been threatening to rain all day, the air felt very heavy, it was incredibly humid, and weather.com told us it would storm. Sadly, even though we knew what was coming, no-one had thought to tell Coco the dog.

 At around 2am Coco got scared. Coco is a very large chocolate lab who is old enough to know better; but there are things that scare her. Like being woken from a dream. Or like loud bangs. or like cats that look strange, or like riding in the back of a car. She's a funny dog sometimes, but she's as cute as a button.

By the way, we were watching an entertainment program on the television set the other night, when an product advertisement came on. It was for some homeopathy 'squirt' for old dogs, that 'improves' their hips and bad joints and such. One of the 'paid testimonial' women said, and I quote, 'my dog is now the love of my life'…

Coco will always be the love of my life (well, one of them). Don't matter if she can't see, can't hear, can't walk or can't poop unaided, she'll always be my best friend. Lady, if that's your attitude, then I hope that your dog, full of life now that you've taken to poisoning her water with some shit that a phony vet paid you $100 to talk up, pushes you down the stairs and breaks your fucking hip.

Ahem. Sorry. It's been a long day already.

Anyway, Coco got scared and made a bit of noise. In her defense, this was very loud thunder. She lost control a little, and made a puddle downstairs in the hallway. All of the cats too went a little loopy, and tried to climb into our pillowcases. I'm not sure how the mice coped, but I imagine that the smart one was building a bomb shelter with a reinforced roof, while the other one ran around a lot panicking. In short, the house was a little out of control.

Apart from on my side of the bed.

 I slept soundly through the whole event. Alise was woken first by thunder, and then by Coco's howls. She went downstairs to clean up the puddle and to comfort the dog, eventually bringing her bed upstairs to let her sleep closer to us. She got up again to let Coco out during what was, I'm told, a very heavy rain storm. Alise took care of the situation, while I snored loudly, unaware of the pandemonium that surrounded me.

I am a very heavy sleeper.

Thunderstorms are forecast for the rest of the week. My hope is that the next time this happens, Alise rolls over, shakes me until I awaken, to tell me 'it's your turn'. That would only be fair, don't you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment